If there’s one thing I’ve learnt in my years as a stylist, it’s that underwear is as important as outer wear, if not more sometimes. See Pic one as an example.
One should never be able to tell what kind of underwear you are wearing under your outfit (unless you want it to be the case).
Don’t be that girl who wears a stripy blue g-string under white linen pants. Or that girl whose bra is so tight that its cuts her 2 boobs in 4.
Here are some general rules.
1. Always Always ALWAYS wear flesh coloured underwear under white and pale colours.
2. Clear bra straps that show are not better than a normal bra strap. You can still see it. If you’re gonna wear a strapless dress wear a strapless bra.
3. A smooth fabric on the cup of the bra looks a lot more flawless than a lacy cup showing through a top with thin fabric.
4. The best kind of fuller brief undies are the ones with a raw edge hem that sits on top of the skin, not tight elastic hem that dig into the skin creating the dreaded visible panty line (as illustrated in the first pic) These are great if you are not a fan of G strings.
5. A half slip in black or nude is fantastic under sheer dresses to keep some things to the imagination.
6. Do not wear nude undies/bra under black, especially if it’s a sheer black fabric like a thin knit. In daylight or under any kind of light, it creates a kind of spotlight effect – not in an attractive way.
7. Choose underwear that doesn’t cut into your skin at the waistband. Or anywhere for that matter.
8. Get a bra fitted by a professional when buying a new one, and always put your top on over the bra to see the shape and silhouette it creates.
9. Invest in 1 or 2 pieces of shape wear for your evening wear or a tight fitted outfit. It will give you a flawless finish. You can read more about choosing the right shape wear for you here.
Below are some examples of the basics every girl should have in their wardrobe.
PS. I would love you to come and join my Facebook family for a bit more of Starring Maya fun. Or if you're more of an Instagram person then right this way 🙂 See you around! xxx Shereen