The 7 Step Wardrobe Challenge: Step 3 – Jewellery, Makeup and Accessories
Hope you’ve all had a pretty productive week, maybe even gone through a few clothes from last week’s challenge? Maybe?
It’s been a strange kind of week at my end, heartbreaking news of the late and great and utterly divine Mr Robbins, and a poor little sick girl to look after have kept me busy and emotional. Hence why this is a few days late, but nevertheless, here I am, as promised with some hopefully great tips and tricks to get your accessories and makeup sorted.
Part 1 – Makeup
This should be really easy because I guarantee you that more than half your makeup needs to go in the trash bag right now. Did you know that makeup has a shelf life?
Just like a bottle of milk in the fridge, it goes off, and essentially what you are doing is putting on stale and bacteria ridden product on your skin. Disgusting right?
So let’s go – culling your makeup:
1. Throw away any makeup you have that are way past the use by date – products don’t usually have a use by date stamped on them but here is a guide to how long makeup lasts approximately from when you bought it:
- Powder products like eyeshadow, blush and powder foundation – 2 years
- Liquid foundation and concealer – 2 years
- Mascara- 6 months
- Eyebrow pencil, lip liner, eyeliner- 1 year
- Lipstick – 1 year
- Makeup sponges – 6 months
I had to throw out jars I’ve had for over 5 years. It’s easy to do when you know that it actually harms your skin and causes blockages and breakouts.
2. Once you’ve thrown away the stale makeup, go through remaining items and throw away any of the following:
- Samples given to you that you’ve never used, and are using up valuable real estate on your makeup shelf
- Crusty nail polishes
- Things that were an impulse sale buy or because a salesperson insisted that you look fab in blue lipstick and you didn’t want to let her down.
- Broken or cracked palettes of eyeshadow or blush
Part 2. Jewellery and Accessories (Including Scarves, Belts and Hair Adornments)
I’m a firm believer in ‘jewellery is for life’, unless its cheap and cheerful and easily disposable. If you have any jewellery that is expensive and well made, or sentimental, keep it always.
I’m hoping that one day Maya will treasure all the jewellery I’ve been collecting. If not, I’m sure I’ll find somebody to love it!
Anyway, I digress…back to part 2:
Sort every item of jewellery, scarves, belts and hair accessories into the following stacks:
- Keep – as mentioned above, all valuable pieces plus any current accessories that still have a few more months of fashion shelf life
- Throw – anything broken and unfixable
- Repair – things that need a new clasp/buckle, polishing or missing stones replaced
- Charity or sell – these are pieces that you don’t like anymore, are unwanted gifts or fashion fad pieces you bought cheap.
*Goes without saying I hope, that the charity, repair and throw piles need to go straight in the bin or car to be taken to where it needs to go.
Extra Tips on Taking Care of your Accessories:
- Keep a jewelery polishing cloth to shine up crusty jewellery. Available in supermarkets or jewellery stores.
- Invest in a jewellery repair kit with small pliers, earing backs and hooks, jump rings and clasps for a quick repair job. (All available at Spotlight)
- Avoid getting perfume or hairspray on jewellery to keep them in good condition
- Keep silk and wool scarves in a well ventilated area with a cedar ball to repel moths and silverfish who loves to eat through natural fibres
- Treat leather belts as you would bags and shoes – give them a condition with leather cream every few months.
- Wash and disinfect your makeup brushes regularly to keep them free of pimple causing bacteria. I use Shampoo and a little bit of dilluted dettol.
If you’re just joining in, check out all the posts on the Wardrobe challenge:
- Week 1: Get Inspired and get to know yourself
- Week 2: Culling of the clothes
- Week 3: Jewellery, makeup and accessories
- Week 4: Shoes and Bags
- Week 5: Organise your space part 1
- Week 5: Organise your space part 2
- Week 6: Style yourself
- Week 7: The finishing touches
If you need any help or have questions please feel free to ask away in the comments section below or on Facebook.
Coming up next week: Shoes and Bags.
xxx ShereenPS. I would love you to come and join my Facebook family for a bit more of Starring Maya fun. Or if you're more of an Instagram person then right this way 🙂 See you around! xxx Shereen