I decided to post recipes that I love and do well in the hopes that one day my daughter will enjoy cooking and can refer back to it as her personal recipe book. As someone who learned to cook very late in life, I love my newfound passion for creating meals from scratch, perfecting it, and most of all sharing it with my little family and friends.
I want to teach maya to cook, to appreciate ingredients and good food, to know that we in the 1st world are lucky to enjoy food for more than its nourishing qualities but for its experience, its tastes and the memories it creates. I want her to know how much fun it can be to cook beautiful meals and share with her friends one day, or even just for herself.
Few days ago I had one of my best friends over for lunch and I made a chicken dish I learnt from C’s Mum – Rosemary roasted chicken, followed by the now famous chocolate cake for dessert.
Eaten with fingers, our 2 littles ones hovering over our plates, and lots of mess, but it was a truly delicious meal.
Here’s how to make the yummiest and easiest chicken dish in the world.
No measuring, just instructions straight from Maya’s Italian Nonna.
Ingredients to Cook for 2:
- Chicken thighs on the bone – about 6 if you have a little one sharing
- Some chicken wings if you wan to substitute a couple of thighs
- 2 medium potatoes sliced in thick circles
- 1 onion chopped in thick slices
- 4 or 5 cloves of garlic peeled and bruised
- A small handful of oregano
- 4 ish sprigs of rosemary
- A dash of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Use a large shallow pan – I use Bessemer and heat it well on high heat
- Drizzle a bit of oil
- Thow in the onions and garlic in, then the chicken into the pan. don’t stir yet.
- Sprinkle the chicken with oregano and rosemary leaves and salt
- Brown both sides of the chicken on high heat
- Once chicken is brown put potatoes on top, then cover and turn heat down to low/medium.
- Turn chicken a few times until almost cooked – keeping potatoes to the side or on top so they don’t break
- Take lid off and cook until all the onions have caramelised and charred and the chicken is nice and golden with crispy bits. There should be no liquid left in pan.
That’s it! dish and serve with any salad you like.
I promise you its one of the most easiest, delicious and comforting meals you can have!
Total time to cook should be no more than 45 minutes.
Hope you enjoy
PS. I would love you to come and join my Facebook family for a bit more of Starring Maya fun. Or if you're more of an Instagram person then right this way 🙂 See you around! xxx Shereen