How not to dress like a mum. What does that even mean? I had heard the term before but I had to sit own and note point by point the meaning of that phrase.
To me, when a mum gets dressed most days she usually:
- Throws on something comfortable and practical if she’s going to be doing a million errands with her child all day.
- Puts on something that doesn’t require ironing because there’s no time.
- Doesn’t have a moment to accessorize before leaving the house, and well, your toddler will just pull it off anyway.
- Doesnt have time to colour coordinate so will usually wear all black or throw on a pair of jeans with any old top.
- Wears the same shoes everyday – and it’s one that most likely is the most comfortable and easy to slip on.
- Is lucky if there’s time for a shower let alone makeup so hair is either usually up and makeup is kept to a minimum like lip balm.
Am I on the right track? I’m just going by what goes on in my life and around me. I see a lot of busy mums bustling their babies around, some I envy for having the time to look so great, and some I relate to with all of the above points.
Sure, I make an effort when I have to go to work or have a special event to go to, but there are many days that I just cannot summon the energy or time. On those days I have a few tricks I’ve learned over the years to help me look and feel half decent. Or, at least I hope so…
Here are a few tips you can follow to make yourself feel unmumsy.
- Go through your wardrobe and cull . Put clothes that you wear most days in one pile. Any clothing that doesn’t fit or flatter, are stained and damaged need to go. It’s better to have 3 great tops in good condition than to have 20 that look like shit. It might take a whole evening but be ruthless and it will make life easier. If you need more info on this check out my wardrobe makeover challenge.
- Create a uniform or some ‘go to’ outfits. It doesn’t matter if you dress in the same style everyday. If it works it works. My uniform at the moment is jeans, black or white shirt, an oversized black poncho, black flats and a pair of great statement earrings.
- When shopping look for clothes that have stretch and movement, are machine washable and safe in the dryer. Pick neutral colours like white, black or grey that will make coordinating easy. Look for good tailoring and ones that flatter your figure.
- Every season, spoil yourself with some retail therapy, go to a cheap and cheerful accessory shop like Lovisa or Topshop and buy yourself a few up to date fashion items. A statement necklace, a couple of pairs of earrings, scarves and bags can refresh your mood and wardrobe. Choose any colour you like because they’ll go well with all your neutral clothing. You don’t need a lot, you just need a couple to update your wardrobe.
- If you’re not a fan of neutrals, of course get the colours you love to wear and accessorize around that. I knew a girl who only wore red… maybe a black here and there but mostly all red, head to toe. That was her style and she was fab. Be yourself.
- Every girl should own a pair of great jeans. Look for one that fits well on the butt, doesn’t sag, and fits at the waist firmly. Well fitted clothes you spend hours shopping for will make you look like fabulous in a flash.
- Invest in 1 pair of amazing leather shoes that mould to your feet. Classic loafers, ankle boots and a pair of sneakers will be all that you need. Rotate them around. Pairing a pair of black loafers with jeans and a white button down shirt is the ultimate chic.
- If you have great skin you wont have to wear too much makeup but if you need to then work out a quick routine that works for you and make it happen every morning before you leave. You can try this 2 minute makeup routine that works like a dream for me. All you need is a good foundation and concealer, mascara, bit of cream blush and lip gloss and you’re done.
Here are some celebrity mum’s who have great street style.
Did you enjoy these tips and inspirations? Do you have any other tips? Please feel free to share in the comments section below – I love reading them!!
xxx ShereenPS. I would love you to come and join my Facebook family for a bit more of Starring Maya fun. Or if you're more of an Instagram person then right this way 🙂 See you around! xxx Shereen