For me its a huge NO NO. Just like white shoes.
But, like with anything there are exceptions, and I think today’s fashion is a lot more expressive and individual and really, you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to.
This is how I see it.
A black bra can be incredible tacky if you:
- Have pale skin where the bra will stand out like crazy
- Are wearing a collared shirt at work
- Dressed for a conservative/classy event like a wedding
- Are wearing a beautiful white top that you want to highlight, but instead all people are seeing are your boobs.
The only times you CAN get away with wearing a black bra under a white top is:
- If you have dark skin and there are no flesh coloured bras that match your skin.
- When your top is so sheer that you can see skin and a black bra can look quite edgy.
- You are under the age of 30 and have a healthy dose of body confidence
- If you are Carrie Bradshaw
When in doubt, don’t.
Wear flesh coloured bras, that way it’s you and your outfit that commands attention not your underwear.
Unfortunately in Australia there are not a lot of dark-skinned flesh coloured bra options, which is why I will sometimes wear a black bra under a thickly woven fabric, but if it’s sheer, I’d rather go for a black singlet.
If you must wear a black bra, go for a bralet which covers more flesh and then the outfit is classier and isn’t about inviting people to look at your boobs, but at your ingenious styling and layering abilities.
For more tips into the right undies check out my post on choosing the right kind of underwear.
Where do you stand? Is the rule too outdated or do you think it still applies? Tell me in the comments below 🙂
PS. I would love you to come and join my Facebook family for a bit more of Starring Maya fun. Or if you're more of an Instagram person then right this way 🙂 See you around! xxx Shereen